Excitation systems for synchronous machines
The excitation system regulates the voltage and reactive power of a synchronous alternating-current generator.
It monitors the operating point of the machine and maintains it within permissible limits. It is therefore an important component of a hydroelectric set.
- Design of the (static) excitation system based on the characteristics of the alternator (and in the case of indirect excitation, the exciter)
- Development of a wiring diagram
- Supply of the excitation system (on a mounting plate or in cabinets)
- Commissioning of the excitation system
HYDRO Exploitation’s engineers have in-depth knowledge of excitation systems with ABB’s UNITROL1000 voltage regulators and have already equipped several dozen facilities.
Thanks to our own development work, we are in a position to offer excitation systems at several hundred amperes by combining standard manufactured components, using a thyristor bridge external to the UNITROL regulator.
On request, we can also offer synchronisation, which can be delivered inexpensively using the UNITROL internal synchronisation function and a syncro check relay. Alternatively, ABB SYNCHROTACT (5 or 6) devices can used, if the client wishes.
- An excitation system adapted to their individual requirements
- A system with easily replaceable manufactured components (except for the UNITROL1000 voltage regulation)
- Support from HYDRO Exploitation even after commissioning