Non-destructive testing (NDT)
Non-destructive testing (NDT) is used to verify that there are no internal defects, more specifically, cracks, in equipment and machines, without altering them.
NDT is carried out during the manufacture of a part or the refurbishment of a mechanism to show what condition the material is in. It is also possible to evaluate the condition of a component in a production machine on site. This way, the owner can assess and plan the necessary preventive or corrective maintenance for his installations.
This service can also be used to validate welding work, approve the quality of raw materials before they are machined and verify any internal corrosion by taking ultrasonic thickness measurements.
An array of inspection methods allow our certified specialists to evaluate the quality of a material :
- visual testing (VT) provides essential information on the external condition of a part to determine any obvious defects such as wear, corrosion and open cracks.
- penetrant testing (PT) involves applying a red liquid penetrant to the surface of the test piece and allowing it to enter any cavities. After the excess penetrant liquid has been removed from the surface, a white developer is applied to draw out the liquid trapped in the openings and cracks by way of the capillary action principle. This method reveals any surface-breaking discontinuities with an opening of 1 m or 100 times thinner than a strand of hair.
- magnetic particle testing (MT) is used to detect surface and slightly subsurface flaws by applying a magnetic developer and then magnetizing the metal part to saturation. This process can only be used on ferromagnetic materials such as steel, cast iron, nickel and cobalt.
- ultrasonic testing (UT) is used for detecting flaws inside the the material. It works off the transmission and reflection of ultrasonic waveforms inside a material.
- radiographic testing (RT) is mainly used for checking weld seams; it provides feedback about the internal structure of a part that can then be quickly implemented. Although we do not have the equipment to carry out such checks in-house, we work in close collaboration with specialists in this area.
Our client benefits from the following advantages :
- an accurate report on the condition of the mechanical part, its level of wear and its potential remaining service life.
- the owner can plan essential preventive or corrective maintenance.
- all the servicing of mechanical components under one roof at our Central Workshops.